Saturday, November 01, 2008
Day 1: Halloween and Thankfulness
We had a very busy and very fun day yesterday! Two halloween parties, trick or treating downtown and at my inlaws' neighborhood, out to dinner. Lots of excitement for little boys. This was the first year that the boys have gone trick or treating, so it took them awhile to get it down.
Downtown the stores were all handing out candy. The first time they went up to one of the ladies passing out candy and held out their bags. After she put a piece of candy in their bag they looked down, but didn't move, just waiting for more. At another store they, again, didn't move after getting a piece of candy. The lady ended up giving them each 3 pieces.
At the first few houses at my inlaws' neighborhood Judah would ring the doorbell and then both boys just stood there and didn't say anything. They still got candy, though, and a lot of it. We were the only trick or treaters in the whole neighborhood, so they people that actually opened their doors gave the boys handfuls of it. After several houses they started to get the hang out it. Judah rang the doorbell, waited for them to answer, then said, "We need candy!" We reminded him to say, "Trick or treat," so, at the next house he said, "Trick or treat! We need candy!" He was totally cracking me up!
Diane posted something on her blog today that really spoke to me. It was about remembering the things that you are thankful for. I (like most people) sometimes tend to focus on the things that bother me, that I want to change, or I don't like. But, there really is SO much to be thankful for! So, I made a list of 10, just like Diane did.
1. My sweet Jesus. That He saved me from eternal hell and my own hell on earth.
2. My husband, who gives me safety and security everyday.
3. My beautiful, perfect, precious boys. I've experienced a new depth of love for them and a revelation of God's father love for me.
4. Our families. I love how they love my boys. It blesses my heart.
5. Bestfriends. The girls I can laugh with, cry with, and just have fun. It's been awhile since I've had bestfriends and I didn't realize just how much I've missed it.
6. My disciples. I have sons in the natural, but these ladies are my daughters.
7. Financial security and prosperity. Experiencing the blessing of God in our finances, despite the economy.
8. People who love God and love each other.
9. My gym membership. Thank you so much, Ellie! It truly is an incredibly blessing!!!
10. The little (and bigger) things: cute clothes, walks in the park, decaf mochas, my favorite blogs, old friends on facebook (and other nerdy online things Eric doesn't understand).
I challenge you to make a list of 10 things you're thankful for, too. You can post them on your blog and leave a link (I want to read them!) or just post in the comments.